Fun with Chinese Astrology
Do you believe in Chinese Astrology?
I’ve always taken astrology/zodiac readings with a heap of salt. But just for the fun of it, and because yesterday was Chinese New Year, I took my reading at ChineseAstrologyOnline.com.
To start with, I took a reading for my Chinese astrological animal and lucky element. We always talk about Chinese zodiac in terms of the year, e.g. 2010 is the year of the Tiger, but did you know that in terms of Chinese astrology, the hour that you were born matters as much as the year? Not only that, but the elements associated with the animal are just as important.
After entering my birth date, time, and location, I was presented with the following birth chart:
Apparently I’m a red fire snake born in the year of the green wooden cow.
Side note: the site uses cow instead of ox, but I suppose this is just a matter of terminology.
By the way, 2009 was the year of the brown earth cow.
So how now, brown cow? 2010, on the other hand, is the year of the white metal tiger.
Based on the birth chart, I was also presented with another table showing my lucky element:
Based on this table and theory of balance (yin-yang), it was deduced that metal would be my lucky element. This is because the amount of metal in my birth chart is very low compared to the fiery me. As such, an increase in metal would bring the equation into a balance, and therefore it should bring me luck.
All seems well, 2010 is the year of the metal tiger, so I should be pretty lucky this year, right?
Just to double check, I verified my life in 2009, the year of the earth cow, against the astrological reading.
All seems well:
- Those with metal lucky element are supposed to have a “Vary good luck. Earth is the mother element of Metal. Earth supports Metal.” If they really meant very, then I think it’s quite true, I landed my dream job some time last year.
- Those who are born with fire as the day master type are supposed to “Trend to talk to people what in your mind. If Earth is the Lucky Element, then you will win the reputation. If Earth is the unlucky element, many people don’t like the way you are.” I’m not sure what they really mean here, so I’ll just take it to my interpretation that I tend to talk too much, which was true.
- Based on the monthly readings, my luckiest months should have been April, and June till October. Again, I applied for my dream job in April, and got it in July. And I felt that I’ve been lucky from then on, in terms of life outside work, until October when some of it went down the drain till the end of the year.
Side note: Ah… how can we ignore the fallacy of confirmation bias? You only tend to believe what fits your hypothesis, and ignore others. Anyway, let’s leave that for another discussion.
Everything seems well, so I proceeded with the reading for the year of 2010.
It’s pretty lengthy, so for the sake of brevity, I will summarise only the points pertinent to myself:
- The white tiger contains the elements of metal, wood, and fire, and therefore having metal as my lucky element, I should have some degree of luck.
- However, wood can help fire to burn, and metal and fire are opposite elements. Therefore, I should avoid wood and fire as they are my unlucky elements.
- I should have a “good [luck], but not always. It looks a sunny day, however it can become cloudy or rainy later.” Hopefully nothing to do with my job or life!
- In terms of money, “something to do with money will happen to you. Tiger implies the support from parents, elders, siblings and friends. If you have money trouble first, then people around you who care about you will appear to help the financial trouble. But if you have money luck first, then you will spend more money on investment or people. Therefore, you have to watch your pocket, because the money luck is up and down in White Tiger year.” Somehow, with me going for Australia soon, I feel this coming too.
- I should have a better people relationship this year as my birth chart contains the female wood. This is because male metal and female wood have an Attraction Relationship into metal side. Well that doesn’t sound too bad, does it?
- Since my lucky element is metal, my luck will be super, including love relationships. Hurhur, let’s see if this is true at all.
- Since the snake and tiger have a hurting relationship, my people relationship will be damaged. This means that I have to watch my words and act to avoid that a friend becomes an enemy. If I have a shaky love or family relationship, then there is a chance to break it. Wait a minute, didn’t they just say that I will have a better people relationships just a while ago? According to some interpretation that I found on the same site, it could also mean that I will have a good relationship earlier in the year, followed by a bad one, or vice versa.
How true are these? I will never know till one year from now. Maybe I should post a report on whether these come true next year. Go on and read the entire astrology reading, it’s quite interesting, but like I said earlier, take it with heaps of salt.
I went on further to check out the rise and fall chart of my life. The result is not too encouraging:
The red bar represents the amount of luck I will have each year. The page went on to say that a good marriage and career should be started in the longest, or at least longer red bar. Well that’s not too good if I have to wait till I’m 54. And I’m not looking forward to the time when I’m 34. =/
The last thing I checked was the things that I can take note of, having metal as my lucky element:
- Monkey and Chicken are your lucky animals.
- Years of Monkey and Chicken are your lucky years.
- Months of Monkey and Chicken are your lucky Months.
- Fall is your lucky season.
- 15:00 – 19:00 (3 P.M. to 7 P.M.) are your lucky hours.
- Western direction is your lucky place.
- It will bring you luck to live in a house that faces west.
- You should choose a bedroom on the west side of the house.
- It’s good for you to keep the west side window(s) open.
- When arranging the office desk, you should sit facing the west.
- A metal bed is good for you.
- Your lucky color is white.
- You should wear white often.
- Driving a white car brings your luck.
- Wearing jewelry will bring you luck.
- It’s a good idea to wear golden rings.
- Take care of your respiratory system – Lungs, Nose and Skin.
If you’re interested to check out any of the last two, they’re in the page that shows you your lucky element.
Whew, this entry is much longer than I initially planned it to be. There are actually a lot more information in the website, but I was too lazy to trawl through every single page.
Just for the heck of it, why don’t you go ahead and see how your reading is like in 2010? But like I said again and again, take it with a heap of salt.😉
Oh yeah, and by the way, Happy Chinese New Year for those who are celebrating!